National Mail Online

Just A News Website…

Boko Haram Attacks On Damasak Exaggerated, Says Army

The army has denied reports that Boko Haram terrorists have overrun and are in control of Damasak is “blatant misinformation”.

It comes after several witnesses gave account of five attacks in Damasak in one week.

Reports also speak of thousands fleeing into neighbouring Niger Republic.

The army admitted Boko Haram attacked the town “sometime yesterday [Wednesday]”, calling it a “cowardly” attack that was “effectively repelled”.

It posted a video on social media showing the commander of the 5 Brigade, Brig-Gen SS Tilawan, walking the streets.

“As we speak, troops are in total control of the general area and as can be seen in the attached video, the Commander of 5 Brigade, Brig Gen SS Tilawan, is driving round the town earlier this afternoon to assess the general situation following the cowardly attack by the terrorists who sneaked in from the northern flank yesterday in active collaboration of some local informants,” says Brig-Gen Mohammed Yerima, director of Army public relations.

“The Nigerian Army wishes to assure residents of Damasak and adjoining communities to remain calm as mop operation by the troops are ongoing to flush out the remnant of the terrorists who attacked a section of the town.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *