BY INUSA NDAHI, MAIDUGURI
No fewer than 66 people mostly Rice farmers and fishermen were killed by suspected members of Boko Haram sect in Koshobe village near Zabarmari town of Local Gvernment Area in Borno State. Reliable Sources have said.
The attack also left scores of people injured as a result of gunshot wounds.
This is coming a day when Borno is conducting its first Local Government Elections after more than a decade, following atrocities posed by insurgents.
A security operative who is not authorized to talk to the Press confirmed the incident, stating that the attack took place on Saturday afternoon.
Koshobe, located north east, an a village under Mafa Local Governemnt Area, mostly a Hausa and Kanuri setelement who engaged in farming and fishing is about 25km drive from Maiduguri, the state capital.
Sources said, the attackers armed with Ak47 rifles surrounded the Koshobe river when victims were busy fishing on the banks of the river and opened fire, living 66 persons including women dead with others sustained gunshot wounds.
“66 people have been killed this morning in Koshobe, a community under Mafa LGA after Dusuman. the victims were reported to have been slaughtered in a rice farm while other were fishing nearby river. So far 43 bodies have been recovered and currently in Zabarmari town of Jere Local Government Area. The attackers were more than 100 who came on motor bike numbering about 50.” One fleeing resident, Adamu Abdullahi said.
Another resident of Zabarmari who gave his name as Haruna Isa said he saw some security vehicles including that of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) conveying the remains of the slain victims to an undisclosed hospital in Maiduguri on Saturday evening.
“Yes there was an attack by insurgents on some fishermen in Koshobe village on Saturday, although, i don’t know the actual number of casualties, but i saw some security vehicles conveying remains of the victims to Maiduguri this evening”. Isa stated.
Member House of Representatives, Jere Constituency, Hon Satomi Ahmed confirmed the attack to our Correspondent. He said about 43 corpses have been recovered from the scene of the attack as search and rescue continue. He said arrangements have been concluded for mass burial of the victims slated to hold on Sunday around 9am, in which the Governor Professor Zulum and other top Government officials would be in attendance. End