Gunmen, believed to be Boko Haram insurgents, attacked the convoy of Babagana Zulum, governor of Borno state, at Baga, a town in the state, on Wednesday
A security source told newsmen today that the governor was on his way to some internally displaced persons (IDP) camps in the northern part of Borno when the incident happened.
“The governor went to Kukawa, and on his way to Baga his convoy was attacked. Nobody was injured,” the source said.
The source said: “Màsha Àllah. Glory be to God. Governor’s Convoy intercepted gunmen along the Baga.
“Fortunately the convoy cleared them with two vigilante and a policeman wounded in the crossfire.
“The convoy has since returned to Monguno town to forestall any other attack on the dreadful road.”
It is still unclear as at this time, which faction of the dreaded Boko Haram insurgents are behind the attack.
We gathered that Zulum had not returned to Maiduguri, the state capital, as of 9:10pm on Wednesday.
But Mohammed Mai Bukar, one of the governor’s aides, assured residents that he is safe.
In a Facebook post, Bukar wrote: “To Our Concerned citizens H.E Prof.Zulum and His Entourage are all fine and there was (were) no casualties. Thanks!”
This is the second known attack on the convoy of Zulum within a year.
While returning from a trip to Bama local government area last year, his convoy was attacked at Konduga in Borno
That attack happened seven months after Boko Haram insurgents targetted the convoy of Kashim Shettima, Zulum’s predecessor , on his way to Gamboru Ngala, still in Borno.
Several persons were reportedly killed in the incident while scores were kidnapped